A Wonderful Milestone for Our Growing Business
At the School of Popular Music, we put dozens of students through their music exams every year. It brings us great pleasure in guiding them through their grades on towards their goal to further their passion for music.
Like I’m sure most of you will agree with, there’s nothing better than being recognised for your achievements and after maintaining our high student pass-rate again this year it was great to discover that 2018 was also our turn to get recognised!
But before we get to that, let’s reflect on what we’ve achieved so far…
- The School of Popular Music was established in March 2014 and has never stopped growing since.
- Over 400 students currently taking lessons with SOPM.
- Biggest independent music school in the Channel Islands.
- 99% pass rate for all students taking their grade exams.
- Over 1000 subscribers to our mailing list.
- Over 100,000 hits to our website.
- A social media following of 3000 and reach of 30,000.
- Regular large events including concerts and workshops that have seen over 200 performers take to the stage for us in the past 3 years.
- Multiple large-scale successful campaigns including the Express Yourself Campaign which has seen thousands trying something new, the GSY band aid single in 2017 that reached 25,000 people in Guernsey and was played on Island FM over the whole of December It was also featured on ITV and the GP.
- We raised £4000 for the Eleanor Foundation in donations alone.
It brought us great joy (and surprise) in the first instance to be nominated, secondly to be shortlisted, but then to actually go on and win The Bill Green Award for Entrepreneurial Spirit 2018 was an absolute treat!
A big thank you to The Young Business Group (YBG) who have kindly provided us with the award.
What did the judges say?
Judges included Dene Reardon (Director YBG), Will Green (Guernsey Press) or Carl Symes (Director Start-Up Guernsey and member of the Chamber of Commerce), here is some of their shared comments:
Below you can watch a short video produced by YBG, where Tyler Edmonds discusses how the business concept arose and his plans for the future.
Pictured here during the award ceremony is the majority of our team: Casey-Joe Rumens, Lydia Pugh, Jamie Wickenden, Dene Reardon (Director and President YBG Guernsey), Scott Dorrity, Jo Marsh, Samantha Nichols and Daniel de Carteret. Not pictured here is Mikey Ferbrache, Emily Masson and Peter Mitchell.